Saturday, November 21, 2009

McDia Feliz!!


Yesterday I officially ended my strike of McDonald's hamburgers and participated in McDia Feliz here in Montevideo, Uruguay. Not only did I eat a McDonald's hamburger for the first time in about 15 years, I ate a Big Mac! I also waited in a line that stretched out along an entire city block! After 45 minutes of waiting in the sun with some of the 2 best Uruguayan gals I know-- one was 9 months pregnant---we finally received our hamburgers, and I have to say, I was pretty satisfied. The wait wasn't so bad either as we passed the time in good conversation and my friends had fun laughing at the fact that the American doesn't like to eat McDonald's hamburgers, french fries or hot dogs.
I bet you're dieing to know, why all the hype, I mean, it's only McDonald's, right? Well, McDonald's is pretty popular here but that's not why people waited for almost 45 minutes just for a Big Mac, they waited because 100% of the cost of the Big Mac was donated to the fight against cancer in children.


It's quite a day, local celebrities donate their time and help out and work as McDonald's employees for free to help keep the lines moving. Businesses buy Big Macs for employees and at every McDonald's there are lines, endless lines of people waiting to donate their money.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I don't think I've ever had a Big Mac; it sounds like a cool gig, though. So tell us, does McD's sell anything Uruguay specific? Q says every country's McDonald's that he's been to always has something different on it, whether it be toppings, meat, what have you. I can't remember any specifics, but a friend just told me the Pizza Hut's in Australia (as well as other pizza joints) will put hard-boiled egg on the pizza.

    ReplyDelete