Friday, February 6, 2009

Learning how to budget

I thought that I was pretty good at keeping a budget, but after six years of living on my own I still have much to learn. Last year I wasn't too worried about my income, I thankfully had a scholarship that provided enough money to live without having to penny pinch.

This year however, life in Uruguay is a bit different. I am acutely aware of every peso I spend and I think it will help me kick some gum chewing, chocolate eating habits of mine. For example, a liter of milk costs 17 pesos while a small, innocent chocolate bar costs me a whopping 16 pesos! What's more, the gum I absolutely love costs 25 pesos--I can buy a liter of milk and enough bread for the week with 25 pesos! I am almost sure no one has said that lessons in life are easy...

2 comments:

  1. Food is the big budget killer for me and has been for a long time. Either I go out to eat too much or I justify spending way to much because I like to cook. Somehow, I can talk myself into ingredients when I won't even get a popcorn at the movies, for example. Or, I'll feel really guilty when I do get movie snacks or eat out because I know it's overpriced. Here's my solution (though definitely not the only one):

    I only spend cash for food. After figuring out a reasonable amount of money a month for food (and that took a few months to tweak) I withdraw that amount at the beginning of the month and only spend that cash on food. It's been great because I can make the decision to go out to eat and not feel guilty. On the other hand, I can't just go crazy at the store, put it on my card, and forget about it. I have to make decisions and it's working for me. I've gone over a few months, but not by much. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. being a grown up sucks. that's all i have to say.

    ReplyDelete